Northern Plains Tribal Technical Assistance Program (NPTTAP)
The National Local Technical Assistance Program mission is to foster a safe, efficient, environmentally sound transportation system by improving skills and knowledge of local transportation providers through training, technical assistance, and technology transfer.
The Northern Plains Tribal Technical Assistance Program (NPTTAP) is a Tribal Local Technical Assistance Program. Established under Intermodal Surface Transportation Equity Act (ISTEA) in 1992, the Tribal Technical Assistance Program (TTAP) is comprised of seven American Indian LTAP Centers. The goals of the program are to assist American Indian Tribal Governments by increasing their technical capabilities in transportation and to expand their workforces to effectively address their transportation needs.<
Tribal centers are funded annually through cooperative agreement between their host institutions and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). LTAP funds are matched dollar by dollar by the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
The NPTTAP was established at the United Tribes Technical College in the spring of 1999.
The Regional Service Area includes: Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota and Northern Nebraska.
- Transfer transportation technology to American Indian Tribal Governments through training, technical assistance, and information access.
- Improve communication on technical transportation issues among Federal Highway Administration, Bureau of Indian Affairs, State Transportation Agencies, Tribal Governments, Cities, Counties and Metropolitan and Regional Transportation Organizations and Rural Planning Organizations.
- Assist in developing and implementing innovative transportation technologies and administrative procedures at the tribal level.
- Provide tribal governments with training and technical assistance in Public Law 93-638 Contracting and Self-Governance Compacts.
- Provide training and technical assistance in transportation planning, recreation, travel and tourism planning, and related economic development.
Contact UsNorthern Plains Tribal Technical Assistance Program
3315 University Drive
Bismarck, ND 58504
Phone: (701) 255-3285
Fax: (701) 530-0623
Dennis Trusty, Director
Direct line: 701-221-1762
Karlita Knight, Technology Specialist
Direct line: 701-221-1352
Arden Boxer, Tribal Safety Circuit Rider
Direct line: 701-221-1364
- Tribal Safety Circuit Rider
- Information for Tribes
- TTAP Advisory Board
- TTAP Program History
- TTAP Centers Contact Info
- TTAP Links
- Tribes in TTAP Service Area
- Types of Training Conducted
- NPTTAP Training Materials
- Agenda for Advisory Board Meeting
- NPTTAP Advisory Board Minutes
- Calendar of Events