The mission of United Tribes Technical College (UTTC) Disabilities Services (DS) is to meet the federally mandated responsibility to provide equal access and opportunity for all academic programs and campus activities for students with disabilities at UTTC. All services are provided in a confidential, culturally appropriate manner.
• Provide appropriate and reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities.
• Promote equal access and opportunity for all UTTC faculty, administrators, staff & students.
• Serve as a referral resource for faculty and student support staff on issues regarding disabilities.
• Refer students to local agencies based on individual needs.
• Encourage self-advocacy for students with disabilities.
LAWS IMPACTING POST-SECONDARY EDUCATION
• Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
• Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990
Any student(s) with physical or mental disabilities, hearing or visual impairments, speech or language impairments, learning disabilities, or other health-related impairments may qualify for services providing that the disability or impairment substantially limits one or more major life activities. Once eligibility has been established, the DS Coordinator will notify the student and develop a program plan to satisfy reasonable accommodations. The types of support services provided vary according to the needs of the student. In order to access services the individual must do the following:
1. Self-disclose his or her disability to the DS Coordinator’s office.
2. Complete a Disabilities Services Application and Release of Information form.
3. Provide appropriate documentation regarding his or her disability.
4. Meet with the DS Coordinator every semester to update the services plan and accommodations.
5. Provide current documentation (within the past 3 years) from a credentialed professional.
Acceptable documentation should be your most recent psychological evaluation, IEP (if applicable), or medical report from a physician that clearly states a diagnosis and gives suggestions for appropriate accommodations.
EXAMPLES OF ACCOMMODATIONS
Some examples of accommodations may be reading of exams, extended time during testing, enlarging of printed texts, and testing in a quiet environment.
EXAMPLES OF DISABILITIES/IMPAIRMENTS
• Cognitive or Psychological Disabilities
• Physical Disabilities
• Hearing or Vision Impairments
• Speech - Language Impairments
• Learning Disabilities
• Other Health Impairment(s) (ex: ADHD)
The DS Coordinator works collaboratively with UTTC faculty, and with other academic and support services on campus, to devise appropriate and reasonable accommodations to eligible students
with disabilities. Based on the needs of the student, a referral to local agencies for additional support services might be warranted. Students will also be coached on developing self-advocacy skills to
increase independence and self-sufficiency as a college student and within the world of work.
For further information contact:
Disabilities Services Coordinator
701.255.3285 x1516 Fax:701.224.7230