A hold may be imposed on your student account if you are financially indebted to the University (e.g., for unpaid tuition, fees, fines, or delinquent health service payments) or for disciplinary or scholastic reasons. You will usually be notified of an existing or impending hold by the department or office authorizing the hold.


If a hold is on your record, you may not register or, in many cases, obtain transcripts or your diploma until that hold is cleared with the office imposing the hold. See your current hold information, including the name of the department or office where your specific hold may be cleared at MyU.

Resolving holds

To remove a hold from your student record, you must first pay the debt owed; correct the scholastic deficiency; or be cleared by the Office for Student Conduct and Academic Integrity. For most debts, you will receive a billing statement that you may pay online. In some cases, presenting the billing statement receipt as proof of payment to the department or office that authorized the hold may be sufficient to release the hold.

When you clear any hold, the unit imposing the hold will electronically remove the hold from your record. Units may, on occasion, issue temporary hold releases that allow you to either receive one transcript or to register during the semester in progress.

If, in order to register, you pay a Student Account Assistance (SAA) hold for a previous semester with a personal check that is returned for insufficient funds, you will be sent a notice by SAA. Your current registration may be canceled if you fail to respond to this notice and pay your debt.