Employment Opportunities at UTTC
JOB OPPORTUNITY BULLETIN
Equal Opportunity Employer
Position Title: 9 Month Academic & Personal Counselor
Department: Center for Student Success
Closing Date: Until Filled
Status: 9 Month academic year; Exempt
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Under the direct supervision of theCenter for Academic & Personal Counseling Director, provides professional customer service. Offers supportive Academic & Personal Counseling for the UTTC student population and/or their dependants. These professional services are to include but are not limited to: Individual; Group; and Social Work Counseling. Performs the following duties:
- Assist the Academic & Personal Counseling Director in short and long term planning, in support of the Lewis Goodhouse Wellness Center and UTTC’s Strategic Plan.
- Remain current and adhere to legal requirements that affect students in higher education, i.e. FERPA, HIPAA, ADA, and/or all governing guidelines related to UTTC community.
- Prepare and submit accurate reports, documentation and correspondence in a timely manner.
- To actively participate in the “High Risk” Crisis Management Team that provides holistic services in meeting the individual need(s) of the student and in support of their family system.
- To cooperatively interact with networking system on/off campus.
- Supportive academic, personal, social, behavioral counseling for the individual UTTC student and/or their dependants.
- Supportive family counseling to include: parent-child relationships, home management, and family dynamics.
- Securing information in regards to student(s): physical, psychological and social nature for the purpose of needs assessment and making appropriate referrals.
- Networking with city, county, state and federal agencies in order to make appropriate referrals to those agencies.
- Coordinate with other campus departments when child abuse, child neglect and/or spouse abuse is evident. Initiate counseling intervention referrals on as needed basis.
- Assist in supporting UTTC policies and procedures to include programs relating to: housing, student organizations, student activities, safety and security, discipline and all areas involving student concerns.
- Participate in developing supportive programs and/or activities for students and/or their dependants that would meet their social, educational, cultural and/or developmental needs.
- Serve and participate on assigned Academic and/or Student & Campus Services committees.
- Participates in weekly scheduled meeting with assigned Academic Advisor(s) and/or faculty regarding students concerns on a need to know basis.
- Maintain open communication with various departments on a need to know basis to include but not limited to: Center for Academic & Personal Counseling, Assigned Academic Advisors/Instructors, Financial Aid, Housing, Residential Life, Security, Lewis Goodhouse Wellness Center departments and Administration.
- Disseminates information on a need to know basis to other Student & Campus Services departments in a timely manner.
- Work with Time and Attendance and reports on student progress.
- Participates in UTTC Student Withdrawal Process to include: reporting, record keeping and processing documentation as specified in a timely manner.
- Advocate and support Retention Program with assigned advisors/students.
- On Call duties as assigned on a rotating weekly basis.
- Maintains weekly/monthly contact statistics. Secures and maintains accurate record keeping system.
- Attends professional development training(s).
- Prepare letters of reference upon request by student(s).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Counseling and general office environment. Normal working hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm with one hour for lunch. Will need to work additional hours as the need arises. Will need to occasionally travel to attend workshops and/or conferences.
Will need to walk to various departments/buildings on campus. Ability to perform daily office duties.
- Familiarity and practical application of counseling techniques and methods. Ability to organize and co-facilitate supportive counseling groups. Conduct individual/personal counseling sessions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Effective communication skills, sensitivity to Native American culture and disadvantaged students.
- Ability to relate to diverse age groups.
- Ability to communicate with faculty and staff about student characteristics, needs and specialized areas of interest.
- Working knowledge of local support services and referral agencies.
- A demonstrated ability in support of prevention, mediation and advocacy of student concerns.
- Familiarity with substance abuse issues, the family system, career guidance and general counseling issues to include but not limited to: self esteem, social skills, assertiveness, depression and suicide.
Preference will be given to bona fide American Indian applicants in accordance with UTTC policies and Federal Indian regulations for such preference.
If selected for the position, the applicant is subject to a complete background investigation with a favorable determination.
UNITED TRIBES TECHNICAL COLLEGE DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, RELIGIOUS PREFERENCE, AGE, HANDICAP, MARITAL STATUS, POLITICAL PREFERENCE, OR MEMBERSHIP OR NON-MEMBERSHIP IN AN EMPLOYEE ORGANIZATION, EXCEPT AS ALLOWED BY THE INDIAN PREFERENCE PROVISION OF THE CIVIL RIGHTS ACT OF 1964, AS AMENDED.
PERSONS OF INDIAN ANCESTRY WHO ARE AT LEAST 1/4 DEGREE AND WISH TO CLAIM INDIAN PREFERENCE SHOULD SUBMIT A COPY OF THEIR TRIBAL ENROLLMENT CERTIFICATE INDICATING THEIR DEGREE OF INDIAN BLOOD AND AGENCY ENROLLED.
Interested individual should submit the following application materials to the Human Resource Director:
Completed UTTC Application - call for a copy, or you can download a copy from www.uttc.edu.
Reference letters or names, addresses and daytime phone numbers of three individuals familiar with your preparation / experience.
Unofficial copies of transcripts (Official copies required if hired).
HUMAN RESOURCE OFFICE
UNITED TRIBES TECHNICAL COLLEGE
3315 UNIVERSITY DRIVE
BISMARCK, ND 58504