Employment Opportunities at UTTC
JOB OPPORTUNITY BULLETIN
Equal Opportunity Employer
Position Title: Agroecology Extension Educator
Reports Directly To: UTTC Land Grant Program Director
Opening Date: January 7, 2015
Closing Date: Wednesday January 21, 2015 5:00p.m.
Status: Exempt, Full Time
The UTTC campus includes 16 gardens and fruit orchards and a hoop house that have been developed and maintained by the Agroecology Extension Educator. Additional staff, college students and elementary students and community volunteers assist with these projects. The Agroecologist provides leadership to the development of traditional gardening projects that have included Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa and Three Affiliated Tribes. UTTC is designated as a 1994 Land Grant Tribal College and receives funds from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA).
- Develop and conduct educational programs and activities for the UTTC community, including adults and youth.
- Supervise the development and maintenance of campus gardens, fruit orchard and hoop house and existing and potential research projects.
- Provide leadership to sustainable gardening and landscape efforts, and the use of traditional plants that are found in the Northern Plains.
- Recruit adults and youth to participate in hands on activities (gardening, recycling, harvesting, tree pruning, etc.)
- Work collaboratively with the Land Grant director and others to fund program activities through grant writing and partnerships.
- Develop and publish programs, curriculums, and materials using written, technological and verbal presentations.
- Work as a team with the Land Grant program staff to develop and deliver educational programs that meet the needs of Tribal communities served by UTTC.
- Work collaboratively with other UTTC programs and government entities (tribes, state, and federal) and non-government organizations relating to Land Grant program goals and objectives.
- Participate at meetings, conferences, and workshops as needed.
- Provide progress reports to UTTC administration and other collaborative agencies as needed.
- Travel out of state or locally as necessary to carry out duties, goals and objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
UTTC is a Tobacco-Free Keep Tobacco Sacred Community. Smoking and the use of all tobacco products including e-cigarettes are prohibited.
- Evidence of candidate’s ability to work with Native American communities, agencies and institutions of higher education.
- Possess good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish working relationships with Tribal officials, collaborative partners, and other agency representatives.
- Work experiences with community education e.g. Extension, vocational education, or community gardens.
- Ability to make effective presentations in Native American communities, agencies, and related organizations.
If selected for the position, the applicant is subject to a complete background investigation with favorable determination.
UNITED TRIBES TECHNICAL COLLEGE DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, RELIGIOUS PREFERENCE, AGE, HANDICAP, MARITAL STATUS, POLITICAL PREFERENCE, OR MEMBERSHIP OR NON-MEMBERSHIP IN AN EMPLOYEE ORGANIZATION, EXCEPT AS ALLOWED BY THE INDIAN PREFERENCE PROVISION OF THE CIVIL RIGHTS ACT OF 1964, AS AMENDED.
PERSONS OF INDIAN ANCESTRY WHO ARE AT LEAST 1/4 DEGREE AND WISH TO CLAIM INDIAN PREFERENCE SHOULD SUBMIT A COPY OF THEIR TRIBAL ENROLLMENT CERTIFICATE INDICATING THEIR DEGREE OF INDIAN BLOOD AND AGENCY ENROLLED.
Interested individual should submit the following application materials to the Human Resource Director:
Completed UTTC Application - call for a copy, or you can download a copy from www.uttc.edu.
Reference letters or names, addresses and daytime phone numbers of three individuals familiar with your preparation / experience.
Unofficial copies of transcripts (Official copies required if hired).
HUMAN RESOURCE OFFICE
UNITED TRIBES TECHNICAL COLLEGE
3315 UNIVERSITY DRIVE
BISMARCK, ND 58504