United Tribes NewsNew program offered in electrician’s training
19 April 2010
BISMARCK (UTN) - United Tribes Technical College is offering an electricians training course over the summer. The application deadline is May 22 for the Native American Electrician’s Training Program.
The seven week session will be conducted on the United Tribes campus in Bismarck. Successful completion could lead to an apprenticeship in electrical work.
The training is offered in cooperation with the Office of Indian Energy and Economic Development, U. S. Department of Labor, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers and the National Electrical Contractors Association.
This is a pre-apprenticeship course associated with the National Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee in Bismarck.
Orientation for successful applicants is June 13. Classes begin June 14. Graduation is scheduled for July 30.
For more information and the application form, visit the United Tribes website: www.uttc.edu.
- Age 18, as of February 1, 2010
- High school graduate or GED, or higher
- Must provide transcripts of education and trainings
- Good math skills
- Current, valid driver’s license
- Must sign an Individual Plan for Success
- Willing to relocate for placement to successfully complete an apprenticeship
Minimum Physical Qualifications:
- Physically and mentally able to safely perform essential functions of job either with or without reasonable accommodations
- Able to get to and from job sites anywhere in geographical area
- Able and willing to attend all related classroom training as required
- Able to climb and work from ladders, poles and towers of various heights
- Able to crawl and work in confined spaces such as attics, manholes and crawlspaces
- Able to read, hear and understand instructions and warnings
- Written application screened for eligibility
- Applicants further screened by phone interview
- Final acceptance determined by results of drug test, physical, and background check
- Upon notification of final acceptance into program, applicant must be prepared to take a drug test, a physical, and travel to training location within three weeks of selection