Home United Tribes News Story

United Tribes News

Some Disassembly Required
6 December 2011

RETURNING TO SENDER: Students from the United Tribes Construction Technology Program work November 10 to salvage part of an historic building on the Bismarck State College Campus. Seventy-years-ago, during World War II, it was Detention Barracks T 23 at Fort Lincoln Internment Camp, now United Tribes Technical College. Eighteen of the thinly insulated, 150 feet-long buildings were used at Fort Lincoln to house detainees of German and Japanese ancestry in the government’s Alien Enemy Control Program. The deteriorating wood-frame structure was slated for removal from the BSC campus, where it had been relocated as surplus government property following the war. A portion of the building was earlier removed by volunteers for a planned display at Buckstop Junction, a pioneer town on the Missouri Valley Fairgrounds east of Bismarck. The section removed by UTTC students is to be reassembled in the future for education and public display on the United Tribes campus. A remaining portion of the building was not saved and was destroyed.

 

      

 

Contact Us

United Tribes News
3315 University Drive
Bismarck, ND 58504

(701) 255-3285 ext. 1386
opi@uttc.edu