1. Create an FSA ID by creating a Username or by entering a Verified Email Address and an FSA Password. Remember to keep your FSA ID and Password in a safe place as you will need it in order to renew your FAFSA every academic year. 
  2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) - Complete the FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov. You are required to complete this every academic year that you are enrolled in school. You will need a copy of your previous year's income tax returns and your parents (if applicable). Include the School code: 014470 for the United Tribes Technical College on your FAFSA. Your results will be automatically sent to the colleges listed on your FAFSA. 
  3. Complete the MPN at www.studentloans.gov. - If you need additional funding to cover your cost of attendance you may be eligible to take out Federal Stafford Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized). A promissory note is the legal agreement that you will repay your loan(s) and is a requirement by the Department of Education. 
  4. Complete Entrance Counseling at www.studentloans.gov.  - This is a requirement by the Department of Education in order for you to receive student loans to cover your cost of attendance. 
  5. Complete Financial Literacy at www.saltmoney.org . 
  • Sign-up and complete your Personal Profile
  • Be sure to select UTTC as the school            
  • At the top right of the home page select “My Money 101” and in the drop down menu select “Go to My Money
  • On the  “My Courses” page scroll down and select “Student Loans"           
  • Complete all of the Student Loan Activities
  • Then print the Student Loan Certificate to show you have completed the course

       If you have existing student loans complete the following:

  • At the top right of the home page select “Loan Help”
  • In the drop down menu select “Know What You Owe”
  • Then select “Let’s Go” and then select “Import Federal Student Loan Data”
  • Then follow the prompts as you will need your PIN(same one used for FAFSA) in order to get your information uploaded

    6. Sign Your Award Letter - Your financial aid file may remain at Step 8 for an extended period while the college finalizes the cost of attendance for the new academic year. Once the review process is completed, you will be offered a financial aid package that is as favorable as possible, given the college's resources and your financial situation. This will include an award letter outlining the types of financial aid that you are eligible for and an estimate outlining your cost of attendance. You will receive this documents via your student email. Please note, in order for any financial aid to be processed on your behalf, you are required to sign your award letter and return it to the financial aid.

Additional Requirements:

A Student Aid Report (SAR) is sent to the school after you have completed your FAFSA. Based on the information received from the Department of Education, you may be required to submit the following documents:

Verification - If your application is selected for verification, the Financial Aid office will notify you via your student email indicating which form you are required to complete and additional documents needed. You will be required to complete, sign and submit all documents within 5 days of receiving your notification by email. Verification forms can be found in the Resources Section. If you this is not completed in a timely manner, your financial aid may be suspended for the academic term.

Additional Documents - You may be required to produce documents attesting to your citizenship, selective service registration, dependency status, transcripts from previously attended schools, document changes made to your FAFSA, and/or other information as required by the Department of Education or the Financial Aid Director.

Credit Load Requirement - Undergraduate students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits per semester to be eligible for most financial aid funding or to place existing student loans into deferment status. For additional information on deferment of student loans, please see the Resources Section.